1. Contact us using our contact form
Please provide some basic information about your lifestyle, your experience with dogs, and your plans for a new puppy. It's also helpful to let us know where you are located.
Families that stand out to us are families with experience with dogs (first time families please think about regularly pet sitting to test allergies and to see if having a dog is right for you), families that have read books or researched puppy training and canine behaviour, and families that have looked into local options for veterinary/grooming/training services.
Feel free to ask any questions about our programme and our dogs.
The date that you initially email us is used to determine how long each family has been waiting. Typically families will wait around 6 months between first contacting us and bringing home a puppy- this depends on nature to provide us with puppies and on how many other families are interested in a litter (summer litters typically have higher amounts of applications and interested families),
2. Wait for an Open Reservation List
Reservation lists are specific to each litter are opened for one week after puppies are born and will have a limited number of reservations as per the number of puppies available.
Reservation lists will be announced on our website under 'available puppies' and on our Facebook page at Hillmeadow Cobberdogs. There will be announcements made once a mating has been achieved, when pregnancy is confirmed, and when puppies have arrived. Dogs are bred approximately 2 weeks after starting their heat, puppies arrive 9 weeks after ovulation, and puppies are ready to go home 8 weeks after birth. Due to the volume of emails that we receive we are not able to contact each family individually about reservations and availability. Once a wait list is opened, interested families must contact us to express their interest in a litter and/or submit and application.
We are happy to have families fill out an application for us to review prior to a wait list opening. However, if you have filled out an application in the past you must still contact us to confirm your interest in a specific litter when a reservation list opens. This is how we know families are still interested in a puppy without receiving deposits in advance.
We will only accept families onto our wait list that we feel will provide a loving and caring home for our puppies. We will try to be respectful of the amount of time that qualified families have been waiting to take home a Hillmeadow Puppy. We reserve the right at any time to return a deposit and refuse to sell a puppy to a family that we feel is unfit to own a puppy from our programme.
What qualities demonstrate responsible dog ownership (adapted from the MDBA's Responsible Dog Owner's Code of Conduct):
- Owner will comply with provincial and municipal legislation concerning the ownership of dogs
- Owner will only house the dog indoors with appropriate means for containing the dog either by fence or by leash when outdoors
- Owner will provide dog with appropriate food, water, mental stimulation, companionship, grooming, & exercise
- Owner will set up their dog for success for life by providing it with early socialization, obedience training, & manners
- Owner will ensure that dog will receive appropriate veterinary care including vaccinations, parasite control, and prompt treatment of injury/illness
- Owner will not allow dog to roam freely unless in designated off-leash areas (and only then with supervision and responsibility)
- Owner will take responsbility for any mess or excrement caused by dog in both private and public places
- Owner will not allow their dog to cause a problem or lessen the quality of life for any person in their community by barking, destroying property, threatening or mauling humans or other living beings.
- Owner will lead by example and advocate for responsible dog ownership within their community
We will email families to confirm their reservation once puppies are 1 week old and thriving. Only families with a confirmed reservation will be asked to sign contracts and submit a deposit.
3. Submit deposit of $500 Canadian to secure your reservation.
We ask that all deposits be submitted by e-transfer, bank transfer, pay-pal, or in person by cash. We prefer e-transfer. Deposits are non-refundable but may be transferred to the wait list of a future litter. Deposits are valid for 2 years after the date they have been received. Deposit contracts must be signed and dated to complete your reservation.
4. Receive weekly email updates and pictures once our litter has arrived! We will also provide regular updates, videos, and pictures on our Facebook page at Hillmeadow Cobberdogs as your puppy grows.
Our weekly updates are thorough. They will provide families with details about the individual puppies, information about puppy development, and describe how puppies should be cared for once they have joined their family.
We post almost daily videos and photos on our Facebook page so that families can watch the puppies grow and can feel included in the entire puppy process.
5. At week six your puppy will have their vet check-up and first vaccines. Puppies will go in for their spay/neuter and micro-chip around week 7.
We may host an open house one Saturday morning after puppies are vaccinated and before puppies have been allocated. Please note that this is only possible if there are no unvaccinated puppies in our home.
6. Puppy Matching
Socialization testing occurs at day 49 (seven weeks of age) to determine the adult characteristics of each puppy. (http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php). Socialization testing results are accurate when a family provides responsible training, nutrition, early socialization, and exercise.
Puppies are matched to their family based on temperament. We also try to take into consideration a family's colour and gender preferences when matching puppies to families which is determined by a puppy preference questionnaire that is sent out and filled out by each family before week 7.
7. Collect your dog supplies!
8. Create a family plan and schedule for your new puppy
9. Contact your vet office to set up appointments. Contact your trainer to enrol in puppy class.
10. Time to pick up your new puppy!
We do require the full payment after allocation and before your puppy leaves our home. Payment is received via direct bank transfer, interac e-transfer, PayPal, or cash. Receipts will be provided.
We will have puppy packs that include a puppy collar, a blanket with mom's scent, a toy, vet information, and food to get your puppy started at home.
We will set a Saturday for pick-up when the puppies are between 8-9 weeks old.
11. Let us know!
No question is too big or too small! We loved these puppies first and are more than happy to help!
We love updates! We would love to know how our puppies are doing, and we love getting picture updates!